Saturday, September 3, 2011

Getting to Washington

After three flights and two layovers, I'm in Yakima, Washington.  I shared my last flight with Hiro Iida, one of the programmers of the software I'll be using on the tour.  He's worked on Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, as well as many NetWorks shows.  The main programmer of my software for this show was Jason Howland, the writer of the music for Little Women.  Jason called Hiro during our taxi ride to the hotel to tell him that he's done with the files.  After they hung up, I told Hiro that I was in Little Women a few years ago, and Hiro told me that he should have passed the phone over.

We checked into the hotel and I headed directly over to the theater where the cast was already rehearsing.  I met the music director, Kevin Casey, and he showed me around.  Then I watched them rehearse the song Forever, in which the Dragon falls in love with Donkey.  The dragon puppet is, for lack of a better term, freaking awesome.  The voice behind her is even more so.  I'm surprised at how young everyone is.  Even the director can't be out of his 20's.

Then Hiro got there and he showed me the setup for my "instrument".  I have a 25-note midi keyboard, 2 mac desktop computers, a small rack of hardware, and various other gadgets.  Tomorrow is my crash course in which I have my own rehearsals with Hiro and Kevin to learn this software well enough to rehearse with the orchestra the next day.  Can't wait!





No comments:

Post a Comment