Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New York State of Mind

We've been in New York for the past 2.5 weeks.  During this time, we've been in three cities: Schenectady, Rochester, and Utica.

Our stay in Schenectady was my first time in New York, it was very welcoming.  Restaurants and bars, all in a very charming part of the city near the theater, celebrated our arrival with discounts and parties.  The theater supporters even held a luncheon for us one day with the Mayor of Schenectady.  During the intermission of our last show there, he gave Shrek the key to the city.  Yeah, we’re celebrities.

Proctor's Theatre, Schenectady, NY

Awesome Staircase

Shrek receiving the key to the city
from the mayor during intermission

That week, we also introduced a new cast member.  She started rehearsing in New York City a week before she was thrown into our cast.  Her transition was very painless and professional.  She took the place of our ensemble member Baby Bear.

Aside from the internet problems and the mile plus distance to the theater, our stay in Rochester was pretty smooth.  One of the best parts was getting to see my longtime friend Mike Conrad who now attends the Eastman School of Music.  Mike and I went to high school and did most of our undergrad together.  We’ve had a ton of classes together and performed with each other a lot.  So, we caught up over lunch and he came and sat in the orchestra pit for one of our last shows.  As you can imagine, life on the road becomes easier when you run into people you know.

Auditorium Theatre, Rochester, NY
(clever name, I know)

We were only in Utica for four days and it was okay.  There wasn’t too much to do, but I got some playing and composing in.  Also, the theater houses the biggest chandelier in the country- third largest in the world.

Stanley Theater, Utica, NY

Largest chandelier in the country

These past few weeks I’ve been giving piano lessons to the young girls in our cast, and they’re picking up pretty quickly.  These lessons are benefitting me as well- I’m writing all of my own materials and putting the girls through a course of my own devising that I feel will help them excel.  Just hope it works….

I’ve been having some help with Notion as of late.  I’ve recruited the Green Lanterns of space sector 2814 for assistance.  They’ve been with me since Columbus, and they’ve made my job a lot easier.

John Stewart, Hal Jordan, & Guy Gardner
Green Lanterns of Space Sector 2814

No comments:

Post a Comment