Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Florida Pt. I: Fort Myers/Return to Miami

The last three weeks before the holidays (aka layoff) are in Florida.   Two weeks ago was Fort Myers, last week was Miami, and this week is Melbourne, Sarasota, and St. Petersburg.  I've been referring to this entire period as the "home stretch".

We flew directly from Chicago to Fort Myers- talk about a shift in climate; we easily packed on another 50 degrees in temperature.  We performed on the campus of some easily-forgettable college.  It was a nice facility, the weather was beautiful, and we were within walking distance of essentials.  The Wednesday of that week, I went to the Broadway Palm Dinner Theatre for a matinee performance of White Christmas.  Many of our cast members knew performers in the show.  Little did I know that I worked with the director, Ann Nieman, on A Closer Walk With Patsy Cline.  I enjoyed the show thoroughly, and reveled in how appropriate and applicable it was.

Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall, Fort Myers, FL

Miami had little spurts of excitement, such as eating at Pollo Tropical (essentially tropical KFC), going to the beach, and performing in the country's second largest performing arts center, the Adrienne Arsht Center- the first being Lincoln Center in New York.  The week as a whole, however, was very exhausting.  It takes a lot out of you being in a place that's so populated, expensive, and culturally different.  I'm glad I got the chance to return to Miami, but I was over it pretty quickly.

Adrienne Arsht Center, Miami, FL

Miami Beach


These last couple weeks of the home stretch have been going so incredibly slowly; I'm very eager to come home to friends and family.  Also, it doesn't feel like December with the temperature in the 70's and 80's, making it hard to get into the holiday mood.  But all things considered, I shouldn't be complaining too much:  As I type this, there's a nice breeze and sounds of waves rolling in with the tide as I'm looking out onto the Atlantic Ocean.  More on this in Part II!

Current View

No comments:

Post a Comment